Operations and Marketing, People’s
Jan 2016 – Present
- Provide strategic leadership to a mission driven organization.
- Hired for corporate communications to facilitate an organizational change and to increase employee engagement as well as to increase client retention and grow the business.
- Provide audience development and strategic insights to social media manager and eNewsletter content developer.
- Developed core values and engaged staff in the transition from independent contractors to full-time employees, craft talking points and messaging for staff to address client concerns.
- Ensure consistency of website content, customer communications and marketing outreach.
- Manage all business operations and efficiencies, including human resources, payroll, accounts receivable and recruitment.
- Mentor and manage approximately 40 teachers, eight customer service staff members and an event coordinator as well as 13 volunteers.
- Developing a strategic plan for 2017. 17% growth of new memberships as well as opened two new studios.
Associate Publisher, Saga City Media Oregon Custom Publishing and Sales Director, Portland Monthly
Nov 2014 –
- Grew sales for a $1 million custom publishing division and secured new business with the Oregon Wine Association.
- Managed a team of eight account executives, two administrative coordinators, graphic design and production manager, as well as, fostered relationships with businesses, sponsors and strategic partners.
- Assisted with the consolidation of the Oregon and Washington Custom Publishing Divisions to maximize profits. Led sales training and tactics to increase the entire team's success.
Associate Vice President of Marketing & Communications,
The San Diego Foundation
Apr 2010 –
- Provided strategic communications leadership and execution of those marketing communication strategies, tactics and plans to position the Foundation as the leader in charitable giving and civic engagement.
- Integrated all communications including positioning, policy, planning, and direction of the Foundation for external audiences of donors and community leaders as well as internal corporate communications to employees. Planned executed, and measured digital campaigns, social media campaigns.
- Managed external brand, advertising and public relations agencies.
- Major achievements included all marketing and public relations efforts for the Our Greater San Diego Vision initiative, including the management of advertising and public relations agencies. Resulted in 30,000 participants, $3.5 million in media exposure, and 386 million media impressions.
- The marketing team successfully increased the brand awareness of the Foundation from 37% to 51% through targeted public relation and marketing campaigns, which were nationally recognized for the development of the first iPhone App for a community foundation in the country.
- Planned and executed all content across all channels, including 14 newsletters, 10 social media channels, both an Apple and Android App, as well as, a 1,000+ page website (mobile optimized), increased overall media coverage for The Foundation by 66% in four years. Launched a family of brands in 2013 and a social media strategy that became a national model, resulting in many thought leadership speeches including the Council on Foundations 2013 Conference which I served as chair of marketing. Increased annual fund contributions by 10 to 15% each year.
- Managed the Balboa Park Trust which involved board oversight, donor stewardship, civic engagement and grant processing. Wrote scripts for the CEO, executives an interim Mayor Todd Gloria, produced videos and events, employee talking points, fact sheets, developed plans for crisis communications, provided creative direction and developed content for annual reports, collateral, sales sheets and presentations.
Director of Marketing and Business Development,
San Diego Magazine
Jan 2005 –
- Responsible for all marketing communications, operations, sales and management of $3 million Custom Publishing division while overseeing all marketing, events, sponsorships and public relations.
- Spearheaded change management, incentivized contributions to bottom-line results, thus boosting staff performance and commitment to success.
- Acquired two publications operating at 30% profit. Executed the marketing and sales strategy of the launch of Exquisite Wedding magazine – publication was profitable from first issue.
- Personally examined all P&L statements to more accurately assess costs and determine areas of savings, then discontinued underperforming products.
- Created experiential co-branding events, including a dating game for Chemistry.com supported by print/radio campaign, event fostered client’s most successful kickoff in any market while repositioning San Diego Magazine for younger, more active audience.
- Juiced sponsorship sales (12% to 20% year over year) with packages integrating print, direct mail, Web, e-mail and events, plus PR option for earned television exposure – campaigns delivered value-to-cost ratio as high as 5 to 1; sold $50,000 sponsorship to local radio station.
- Brought public relations in-house to better integrate campaigns into larger marketing program, securing more focused coverage.
- Wrote all scripts for editor-in-chief and the Publisher, Letters from the President, wrote talking points and secured media segments to promote each new issue.
- Developed all key talking points for sales team and staff, developed collateral, media kits, sales sheets, presentations and promotional videos.
Integrated Marketing Consultant, January 2009 – Present